Wonderful aromas of crushed berries, spices, dried flowers and grape puree. It’s full-bodied with a tight, rich palate with purity and honesty to the fruit. Wholesome and real. From biodynamically grown grapes with Demeter certification. Try after 2025.
The 2018 Durfort-Vivens is a total bomb. Inky, rich and explosive, the 2018 exudes concentration from the very first taste. Blackberry jam, spice, lavender, cloves and new leather infuse the 2018 with layers of depth. Durfort is without question one of the most compelling wines of the vintage. The blend is 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot and 7% Cabernet Franc, a bit more Franc than normal because Franc proved more resistant to mildew. The 2018 was vinified entirely in amphora, with manual punchdowns.
Another unusual 2018 that is worth adding to your collection, because if you love wines with a sense of place, there is an added sense of appreciation that each one tells the story of a particular vintage. Just so concentrated, reflective of its tiny yield that barely strayed past 10hl/h (due to mildew, as with the also-biodynamic Ch Palmer in the same vintage). The tannins, although dense, are silky and supple, and the blackberry and fig fruits keep a sense of elasticity and juice. 100% fermented in amphoras, with 70% of the wine moved into new oak barrels after malolactic fermentation for ageing, the other 30% staying in the amphorae. Only available to buy in cases of 3 bottles because there were only 6,000 bottles in total. If you are able to find, set it aside for a few years, and then revel in its pleasures. Winemaker Léopold Valentin, alongside owner Gonzague Lurton.
Jane Anson Inside Bordeaux Sept 2021
You can allow all or manage them individually.