Located on the revered Saint-Émilion limestone plateau, Chateau Canon is one of the appellation’s outstanding Premier Grand Cru Classés. Originally a walled “clos” called Clos St Martin, the then 13ha estate was bought by naval officer Jacques Kanon in 1760, from whom, it is suggested, the chateau would later take its name. Fast forward to 1919 and the estate came into the hands of the Fournier family who invested heavily and were responsible for some of the spectacular successes of the early to mid-part of the 20th century before the quality of the wines and reputation of the chateau slowly declined. It wasn’t until 1996 that it was finally sold to the current owners, Maison Chanel. It took almost a decade of revitalisation of the soil, the vines and the chai before a semblance of its former glory returned; since when, under the industry and skill of John Kolosa then subsequently Nicolas Audebert, Chateau Canon has gone from strength to strength culminating in the magical run of 2015-2019.